Thursday, January 7, 2010

Manuscripts as Drafts

First thing’s first: Happy New Year!

I know it’s been a while since posting an entry. I wish I could say that it was because I was engaged in heated negotiations with an agent or publisher, traveling the country making appearances at book signings, or prancing through the mall blowing a hefty royalty check faster than a skinny kid can be kicked off The Biggest Loser. Alas, I fear the reason behind my absence from this blog is far less interesting: life.

It’s been a busy, busy couple of months in the Allen household! Three of our four children have birthdays in December—all within a few days of each other! (It was several years before Mr. Allen finally figured out that he needed to actually buy a gift for Mrs. Allen on her birthday, which oddly enough is nine month before December.)

Then, of course, there are the holidays. Wonderful, joyous times of the year for the young and old, filled with magic, gifts, and wonder. Nothing warms your heart like watching a child open gifts on Christmas morning—even the ones who should have gotten the mythical lump of coal instead of a shiny red box with a bow. No, honey, it wasn’t an iPod…but a box of books is so much more suited to the level of effort you’ve put into the past year, wouldn’t you say?

Anyway, enough of the mundane holiday recap. Let’s dive into the wonderful world of writing!

During my holiday break from official blogging responsibilities, I was struck with a revelation. It’s something that seasoned writers know all too well—something that even this “newbie” knew on some level. Ready?

Manuscripts are drafts.

That statement is both simple and incredibly complex, depending on context. Sure, we revise. We edit. So, of course it’s a draft! But if you limit your scope to merely changing a few words around, you’re missing out on the opportunity to completely remake your project for the better.

What if your novel was written in third-person past tense and you realize it really should be told first-person? Maybe the first couple chapters are mundane back story that really doesn’t engage the reader or move the plot forward? Perhaps an important point of view character simply isn’t interesting enough, or doesn’t really deserve the same spotlight as your protagonist?

Many new writers—myself included—clutch our finished manuscripts so tightly that our knuckles turn white. If I’d have been approached four months ago and told that I needed to cut the first two chapters and rewrite chapter eight from the point of view of a secondary character, my eyes would have probably glazed over as I disappeared into my Happy Place.

The startling realization that manuscripts weren’t written in stone was thrust upon me (much against my will, I might add) as I struggled to find a way to cut 50,000 words from The Veil so I could submit it to a publisher with a very strict 100,000 word cap on submissions. If you’re like me, you’re already doing the math: that’s a third of my manuscript!

The funny thing is: seasoned authors from all walks of genre do this regularly. Some will actually throw away the first—and sometimes second—drafts before actually sitting down to do revisions. For them, it’s simply part of the creative process.

Nothing can prepare you for the inevitable panic attack resulting from wiping out entire chapters from your novel. Absolutely nothing. (Pro tip: make a back up first…it does help a little!) But the results are well worth the stress.

So far, the new manuscript is shaping up to be much tighter and more intense than the first time through. Knowing that the original iteration of the story was far too long is allowing me to moderate the level of detail and back story better. Plus this time around I know my characters even better than before and can add more personality and emotion.

Think of it like this: the first draft was practice…and we’ve all heard that practice makes perfect. Besides, who knows? With enough revision, next year’s box of books for the under-achieving child at Christmas could contain your novel!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Witty and informative. Thanks so much for sharing your insight as a new author!

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm going to have to read your book when it comes out! You've drawn me in with my first visit to your blog. In fact, you've inspired me to create my own. THANK YOU! I will keep coming back...and I'll even list you on my blog you can inspire others!!!

Michelle Izmaylov said...

Your blog offers interesting insights and important truths. Every author definitely encounters rejections as a standard, but the more you rewrite a book and rethink ideas the better a story you will eventually have. I personally received around 250 rejections and had to rewrite my entire novel 3 times from pure scratch and then make infinite revisions before finally finding a publisher, but it's really a normal process and worth the extra effort to fulfill your dream.

There are two bits of additional advice that may help out. First, many submission editors won't read past your first two or three paragraphs if there's not an immediate hook. Fancy descriptions can wait till later; start off with something exciting that takes a reader's breath away and makes them want to keep reading. Also, sometimes endorsements from established published authors help a new author land a company. For example, I've written several endorsements for authors who were then published by large traditional publishers.

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit!

Warm wishes,
~Michelle Izmaylov

P.S. If you're interested, you can read more about how I got published in this interview with CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/studentnews/09/10/izmaylov.interview/index.html.

Daniel Allen said...

Thank you for cross-linking my blog on yours Reign. I really appreciate that! I've added your blog to mine as well.

Thank you for contributing your experience to the post Michelle! It's really great to see other authors sharing their experiences here.

I read your interview at the link you posted. What an inspiring story!